Sabbaki Payasa


While growing up, Mom made this payasa rarely, as I and my sisters would never like it. I and R saw sabbakki (sabudhana) in the grocery store and thought lets buy this. We did not have any dish in mind then. For Sankranti, we usually make Sakkare Pongal (dessert version of Pongal).

When I opened my pantry, sabbakki was staring at me. Ok don’t worry, I will try something…Let me make the payasa which I vaguely remember.
From all the payasas I remember , this recipe was born.

Recipe
Ingredients
Sabbakki – 1 cup
Shavige/Seviya - ½ cup
Ghee – 1 tsp
Oil – 1tsp
Raisins & Cashews – ¼ cup
Jaggery(Gud) – 1 ½ cup if powder(or based on the sweetness)

For Paste:
Grated coconut – ½ cup (coconut powder also ok)
Ghasa gase(Khus Khus) – 2 tsp
Cardamom – 1 whole

Directions:
. Heat a pan and add oil and fry sabbakki for 5 mins

. Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a cooking vessel and drop the sabbakki into it and cook until the sabbakki becomes translucent.

. Add the shavige/seviya and the paste and cook for 10 mins.

. In a separate pan heat ghee, add cashews & raisins and then add this to the payasa at the end.

. Enjoy this payasa hot or cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment