Thondekai Palya

Thondekai which is known as tindli/tinda in hindi is R's favourite, when it is prepared in palya. Palya is a side dish that is dry and no gravy. As a kid, I used to call it as mini cucumber. One of the dry palya which is easy to prepare. It goes well as side-dish with rice and sambar or with chapathi.
Everytime I cook this, I alternate the way I cut this veggie. This time it was sliced horizontally. If I cut it horizontally R asks "Oh I like it vertically". If cut vertically then its opposite. So I alternate everytime and this time convinced him that, last time I had cut it vertically.



Ingredients:

Thondekayi or Tindli - 1/2 pound

Urad Dal - 1tsp

Channa Dal - 1 tsp

Mustard - 1/2 tsp

Green Chillies - 4

Curry leaves - 10

Coconut grated/powder - 1Tblsp

Oil for tadka

Ginger (grated) - 1/2tsp

Coriander Leaves for garnishing

Salt to taste

Directions:

1. Slice the thondekai either vertically or horizontally.

2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and wait for it to splutter.

3. Add channa dal and urad dal, fry until it turns slight brown. (make sure not to burn it)

4. Add ginger pieces, green chillies, curry leaves and fry for a min.

5. Add thondekai slices and fry for 2 mins.

6. Add salt to taste, cover and cook for 5-8 mins on low flame. (In betwen stir the contents, sometimes it can stick to the bottom and get burnt)

7. Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut

Enjoy the side dish.




No comments:

Post a Comment